Hörbuch: Notes on The Broads and Rivers of Norfolk and Suffolk
Notes on The Broads and Rivers of Norfolk and Suffolk
1 - Preface
- Download Preface audio
- Download Introductory audio
- Download Norwich to Lowestoft audio
- Download Digressional and Otherwise audio
- Download Lowestoft to Beccles audio
- Download Beccles to St Olaves audio
- Download St Olaves to Yarmouth and Acle audio
- Download Acle to Wroxham audio
- Download Wroxham Broad to Little Switzerland and Horning audio
- Download Horning to Potter Heigham and Waxham audio
- Download Waxham to Palling audio
- Download Palling to Hickling and Martham audio
- Download Potter Heigham to Acle audio
- Download Acle to Wroxham Bridge audio
- Download Wroxham to Barton and Acle audio
- Download Up the Muck Fleet to Filby, Rollesby and Ormesby audio
- Download The Fisheries and their Preservation audio
The Broads area of Norfolk and Suffolk is in the East Anglian region of England. It is the location of Britain's third largest inland waterway system - a system that evolved gradually by natural flooding as a consequence of extensive peat digging during mediaeval times in this vast low-lying area.
The Broads (or lakes) and rivers were used for centuries to transport goods and passengers between various inland locations and the coastal ports of Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft. During the nineteenth century, the area started to become popular as a boating holiday destination. This book, first published in 1887, records the events of the author’s holiday on the Broads aboard his own eight ton cutter – The Buttercup.
The author, along with a friend (named variously, Jack or John) and his ’man’, George sail the yacht to various places of interest around the Broads. With the help of an experienced sea captain, the group leave the Broads for a day and sail the Buttercup down the Suffolk coast past Southwold and through Sole Bay to see the remains of the ancient capitol of East Anglia at Dunwich.
So, if the thought of being out on the water, sailing and discovering all sorts of interesting places is something that ‘rocks your boat’ then please join me if you will, on another auditory cruise around these unique waterways through expansive landscapes under wide open skies. - Summary by TND
Hat Ihnen das Gehörte gefallen? Teilen Sie es mit Ihren Freunden und Ihrer Familie!.