Audiobook: Institutes Of The Christian Religion Book 1 (Allen Translation)
Institutes Of The Christian Religion Book 1 (Allen Translation)
1 - I. The Connection Between The Knowledge Of God And The Knowledge Of Ourselves.
- Download I. The Connection Between The Knowledge Of God And The Knowledge Of Ourselves. audio
- Download II. The Nature And Tendency Of The Knowledge Of God. audio
- Download III. The Human Mind Naturally Endued With The Knowledge Of God. audio
- Download IV. This Knowledge Extinguished Or Corrupted, Partly By Ignorance, Partly By Wickedness. audio
- Download V. The Knowledge Of God Conspicuous In The Formation And Continual Government Of The World. audio
- Download VI. The Guidance And Teaching Of The Scripture Necessary To Lead To The Knowledge Of God The Creator. audio
- Download VII. The Testimony Of The Spirit Necessary To Confirm The Scripture, In Order To The Complete Establishment Of Its Authority. The Suspension Of Its Authority On The Judgment Of The Church, An Impious Fiction. audio
- Download VIII. Rational Proofs To Establish The Belief Of The Scripture. audio
- Download IX. The Fanaticism Which Discards The Scripture, Under The Pretence Of Resorting To Immediate Revelations, Subversive Of Every Principle Of Piety. audio
- Download X. All Idolatrous Worship Discountenanced In The Scripture, By Its Exclusive Opposition Of The True God To All The Fictitious Deities Of The Heathen. audio
- Download XI. Unlawfulness Of Ascribing To God A Visible Form. All Idolatry A Defection From The True God. audio
- Download XII. God Contradistinguished From Idols, That He May Be Solely And Supremely Worshipped. audio
- Download XIII Part 1. One Divine Essence, Containing Three Persons; Taught In The Scriptures From The Beginning. audio
- Download XIII Part 2. One Divine Essence, Containing Three Persons; Taught In The Scriptures From The Beginning. audio
- Download XIV. The True God Clearly Distinguished In The Scripture From All Fictitious Ones By The Creation Of The World. audio
- Download XV. The State Of Man At His Creation, The Faculties Of The Soul, The Divine Image, Free Will, And The Original Purity Of His Nature. audio
- Download XVI. God's Preservation And Support Of The World By His Power, And His Government Of Every Part Of It By His Providence. audio
- Download XVII. The Proper Application Of This Doctrine To Render It Useful To Us. audio
- Download XVIII. God Uses The Agency Of The Impious, And Inclines Their Minds To Execute His Judgments, Yet Without The Least Stain Of His Perfect Purity. audio
Now, my design in this work has been to prepare and qualify students of theology for the reading of the divine word, that they may have an easy introduction to it, and be enabled to proceed in it without any obstruction. For I think I have given such a comprehensive summary, and orderly arrangement of all the branches of religion, that, with proper attention, no person will find any difficulty in determining what ought to be the principal objects of his research in the Scripture, and to what end he ought to refer any thing it contains. This way, therefore, being prepared, if I should hereafter publish any expositions of the Scripture, I shall have no need to introduce long discussions respecting doctrines, or digressions on common topics, and therefore shall always compress them within a narrow compass. This will relieve the pious reader from great trouble and tediousness, provided he come previously furnished with the necessary information, by a knowledge of the present work. But as the reason of this design is very evident in my numerous Commentaries, I would rather have it known from the fact itself, than from my declaration.
Farewell, friendly reader; and if you receive any benefit from my labours, let me have the assistance of your prayers with God our Father.
(Summary by John Calvin. Geneva, 1st August, 1559.)
Liked what you heard? Share it with your friends and family!.