Audiobook: History of the United States, Vol. III
- Download VIIA. Formation of the Constitution: Promise and the Difficulties/Constitutional Convention audio
- Download VIIB. Formation of the Constitution: Framing of the Constitution audio
- Download VIIC. Formation of the Constitution:Struggle over Ratification audio
- Download VIIIA. Clash of Political Parties:New Government/ Rise of Political Parties audio
- Download VIIIB. Clash of Political Parties: Foreign Influences and Domestic Politics audio
- Download IXA. Jeffrsonian Republicans: Principles and Policies/The Great West audio
- Download IXB. Jeffersonian Republicans: Republican War for Commercial Independence audio
- Download IXC. Jeffersonian Republicans: Republicans Nationalized audio
- Download IXD. Jeffersonian Republicans:Chief Justice Marshall/Summary audio
Charles Beard was the most influential American historian of the early 20th century. He published hundreds of monographs, textbooks and interpretive studies in both history and political science. He graduated from DePauw University in 1898, where he met and eventually married Mary Ritter Beard, one of the founders of the first Greek-letter society for women, Kappa Alpha Theta. Many of his books were written in collaboration with his wife, whose own interests lay in feminism and the labor union movement.
In 1921, Charles and Mary Beard published their textbook: History of the United States. A contemporaneous review stated: The authors… assume enough maturity in…students to justify a topical rather than a chronological treatment. They have dealt with movements, have sketched large backgrounds, have traced causes, and have discussed the interrelation of social and economic forces and politics. All this has been directed to the large purpose of helping the student to understand American today in all its national characteristics and as part of world civilization as well..The literary style is exceptionally clear and crisp, and the whole approach…is thought producing. As a textbook or handbook for the average citizen it ranks with very best.
Liked what you heard? Share it with your friends and family!.