Audiobook: The Great God Pan
The Great God Pan
1 - 01 - The Experiment
- Download 01 - The Experiment audio
- Download 02 - Mr. Clarke's Memoirs audio
- Download 03 - The City of Resurrections audio
- Download 04 - The Discovery in Paul Street audio
- Download 05 - The Letter of Advice audio
- Download 06 - The Suicides audio
- Download 07 - The Encounter in Soho audio
- Download 08 - The Fragments audio
"The Great God Pan" is a novella written by Arthur Machen. A version of the story was published in the magazine Whirlwind in 1890, and Machen revised and extended it for its book publication (together with another story, "The Inmost Light") in 1894. On publication it was widely denounced by the press as degenerate and horrific because of its decadent style and sexual content, although it has since garnered a reputation as a classic of horror. Machen’s story was only one of many at the time to focus on Pan as a useful symbol for the power of nature and paganism. The title was taken from the poem "A Musical Instrument" published in 1862 by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, in which the first line of every stanza ends "... the great god Pan."
Liked what you heard? Share it with your friends and family!.