Audiobook: A Man of Means
A Man of Means
1 - 1 – The Episode of the Landlady’s Daughter
- Download 1 – The Episode of the Landlady’s Daughter audio
- Download 2 – The Episode of the Financial Napoleon audio
- Download 3 – The Episode of the Theatrical Venture audio
- Download 4 – The Episode of the Live Weekly audio
- Download 5 – The Diverting Episode of the Exiled Monarch audio
- Download 6 – The Episode of the Hired Past audio
A Man of Means is a collection of six short stories written in collaboration by P. G. Wodehouse and C. H. Bovill. The stories all star Roland Bleke, a nondescript young man to whom financial success comes through a series of “lucky” chances, the first from a win in a sweepstake he had forgotten entering. Roland, like many a timid young man seeks love and marriage. In this pursuit his wealth is regularly a mixed blessing. The plot of each story follows its predecessor, sometimes directly, and occasionally refer back to past events in Bleke’s meteoric career. The writing style is crisp and droll, and shows much of the skill and polish of the later Wodehouse. The disasters that befall the hapless Bleke are entertainingly recounted and his unforeseen rescues surprise and delight. In the character of the butler, Mr Teal, we meet an early draft of the ingenious Jeeves. The stories first appeared in the United Kingdom in The Strand in 1914, and in the United States in Pictorial Review in 1916. They were later published in book form in the UK by Porpoise Books in 1991; the collection was released on Project Gutenberg in 2003.
Liked what you heard? Share it with your friends and family!.